How have we increased our diversity?
In 2012, the equalities committee set out to implement actions to improve the diversity of talent within our organisation (that is female talent, disabilities, sexual orientation etc) so that it better reflects UK customer and regional employee demographics. We also encourage other companies to do the same through our ownership and influence as an investor.
Key initiatives for 2012
We have delivered a number of initiatives across the our business which are highlighted below.
Training and education
- ’Unconscious bias’ workshops to the entire leadership group
- A ‘talking talent’ survey issued to approximately 38% of grade five employees and above (grade four and above in LGIM), to identify career ‘pinch points’/barriers to progression.
Further analysis of the numbers
- Aspirational targets for female leaders agreed and performance against targets were critically reviewed at half year
- Female talent pipeline for divisions and for the Group are understood.
Processes to make things equal and balanced
- Our future leader programme has identified a significant number of talented women that will benefit from the program
- We revised our recruitment process for grade six and above being introduced to ensure objective criteria used which will provide more opportunity for women
- New computer based training package for all employees on ’employee fairness’ developed and delivered across organisation
- A revised ‘job share’ policy is in development and on target for launch early this year
- We have a Group Board diversity policy now developed and implemented.
Achievements and benchmarks
We have used the expertise from a number of external organizations to see how we compare and contrast including:
- BITC Opportunity Now (gender) benchmark increased from Bronze in 2011 to Silver in 2012 >70%
- Race for Opportunity (ethnicity) Bronze award achieved in the first year we have completed this
- Stonewall survey (LBGT) completed for first time. We were ranked 367th out of 376 companies that participated. We clearly still have work to do here.
Public commitments to diversity
We have made a number of public commitments to good diversity practice as an employer and as an investor in 2012. These are some of the highlights: